Mental health challenges know no boundaries; it strikes the young and old alike. It doesn’t matter what socioeconomic status you’re in or if you’re male or female. Mental illness is a real problem for millions of Americans. In fact according to the National Institute of Mental Health, one in five Americans have a mental health issue, making this a common problem. The importance of adult psychiatric counseling in Houston is obvious as bigger cities have larger populations, therefore creating a greater need. With Houston adult psychiatric counseling services, adults with mental health disorders can find a broad range of treatment options for healing.
What Types of Mental Illnesses do Adults Have?
Adults may face a range of mental health issues. Although there are over 300 mental disorders, they can be grouped together in the following categories:
- Anxiety Disorders such as generalized anxiety, phobias, and panic disorders
- Psychotic Disorders such as schizophrenia, Schizoaffective disorder, and delusional disorder
- Eating Disorders such as anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating
- Personality Disorders such as borderline personality, Paranoid personality, histrionic personality, and avoidant personality
- Trauma Disorders such as post-traumatic stress disorder
- Substance-Abuse Disorders
How Can Adult Psychiatric Counseling in Houston Help?
If left untreated, mental health disorders can cause the person’s level of functioning to deteriorate rapidly. Of course, this depends on the severity of the mental illness, but even mild disorders require treatment so the person can live a fulfilling and productive life. Seeking the therapies and services of a psychiatric counseling office is a necessary step in enhancing the person’s health and wellbeing.
A psychiatric counseling facility combines medication with therapy. The course of medication depends on the person’s condition. For example, if the person is diagnosed with clinical depression, then anti-depressants will be prescribed. If the person has substance abuse disorder, then the psychiatrist will prescribe Suboxone or Vivitrol.
The medication works best when used in conjunction with other behavioral health services that treat a variety of psychiatric disorders as well as co-occurring substance use disorders.
What to Look for in an Adult Psychiatric Counseling Office
Searching for the best psychiatric counseling in Houston can be a challenging task. However, if you keep these things in mind, you’ll be right on track to finding the right place:
- Make sure the office has doctor certified psychiatrist (otherwise you won’t get help with medication management)
- Find a location that allows for flexibility in the schedule (this may be necessary for you in the future)
- Make a trial appointment and see how you connect with the doctor and staff
- During your trial appointment, ensure you don’t have to wait long to get in (if you do, it could be a sign of a poorly run office)
Find Help in Houston for Psychiatric Needs
Welcome to PACE Mental Health Houston, where we provide comprehensive services for your mental health needs. At our professional facility, you will receive a psychiatric evaluation and consultation from a qualified psychiatrist. Then the psychiatrist will go over a personalized plan addressing your situation. Some of our programs include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
- Trauma-guided Therapy
- Mindfulness and Meditation Therapy
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Therapy
Don’t wait until your mental health disorder interferes with and hinder your enjoyment in life. Seek the treatment that will put you on the path to healing. At adult psychiatric counseling in Houston, you have hope for a new beginning. Contact us at 866.971.8423 today.